Norwood Green ward
This is an area bounded by part of Windmill Lane to the East, King Street in the West, Bridge Road to the North and to the South where the Borough joins Heston. Cranbourne, Dorset, Manston, Melbury, Minterne, Shaftesbury, Stour, Sherborne and Wimborne Avenues form part of the estate which was built in the late 1920's by Warren & Wood. Warren was a Dorset man and the estate names have Dorsetshire origins.
After the village of the same name it has a lovely manor house, a church with foundations a thousand years old, a little river etc.
After the County.
A small village on the road from Shaftesbury to Sturminster.
This word is often to be found in Dorset and the one I have chosen is Melbury Bubb. There is a little road which runs to Melbury Bubb and then seems to say, "Here I will stop, for there is nothing better." Here all must stop, for there is little better around about than this group of cottages, the Elizabethan manor house turned farm, and the church is a veritable treasure-house, in the windows is some of the best old glass in Dorset.
Huge banks topped with tall trees shelter the way to Minterne Magna, among the hills near where High Stoy rises 860 feet.
After the historical town which began with King Alfred, who founded the abbey with his daughter as first abbess.
The chief river of the county.
Surrounded by wooded hills, its pastures provide some of the richest grazing ground of the county, and it gathers about a Norman abbey, a 15th century almshouse, and the ruins of a Norman castle.
On the River Stour, if the town has lost some of its beauty the old minster lives on as if it were all the world, unspoiled by time.
Off Tentelow Lane is Poplar Avenue, once a cart track and probably a continuation of Templewood Lane now known as Glade Lane. The existing poplar trees in the Avenue are quite young and were obviously planted after the Avenue was so named but years previously a large poplar tree stood on this site.
Originally called Feeder Lane - 'feeder' meaning a ditch which came from Ruislip reservoir. The present name comes from Major Gen. Sir Henry Havelock a great soldier and one of the heroes of the Indian Mutiny.
Havelock Road Estate
To the north of Havelock Road is the council property known as the Havelock Road Estate, comprising, Hunt, Hillary, Tensing, Gregory and Wylie Roads. This property was built about 1953 and the roads are named after John Hunt (since knighted), leader of the famous 1953 British Mount Everest Expedition. E.P.Hillary and Sherpa Tensing made the second assault and Gregory and Wylie, of course, were members of the party. The road Tensing is spelt with an 'S' as opposed to the original spelling 'Z'.
This is a regal name and is to be found in many London boroughs but does not refer to any particular British monarch. King Street begins where the public house the 'Victory' used to stand. This house used to be called 'The King of Prussia' and it is from this king that King Street has taken its name.
Bridge Road (Now Merrick Road)
This is a comparatively new name taking its title from the railway bridge but originally named Margarine Road, so called because it led to the Maypole Margarine Works, founded by Otto Monsted.
There is a cemetery near by known as Hortus cemetery but the word 'hortus' comes from the latin meaning 'a garden'. This area once comprised an orchard, not uncommon in those days, and some of the maisonettes in Hortus Road bear the name Orchard Maisonettes.
Osterley Park Road
The collection of roads around the library have a definite connection with the Jersey family. The Countess of Jersey laid the foundation stone of the Public Library in 1904, so, although Osterley Park Road is not a road leading direct to Osterley Park it is a definite attempt to link that part of Southall with the Jersey family. The Countess of Jersey was born in Warwickshire, the daughter of Lady Aurelia Grosvenor.
Takes its name from Lady Grosvenor.
After the county in which the Countess was born, but, on the other hand there lived about the same time a certain Countess of Warwick, who was identified with many public movements for the betterment of her sex. She established at Reading a horticultural college for the daughters of professional men and a home at Warwick for crippled children. It is possible that she was a friend of the Jersey's and that this road bears her name.
A ducal name and is probably after the 5th Duke of Portland a certain Bentinck-Scott William John Cavendish, a man who saw little or no society.
This road was built on land that once belonged to Samuel Minter of Windsor.
This is the continuation of Church Path - the path leading to the church of St. Marys at Norwood.
After the Rectory that once stood on the site.
As far as can be ascertained this was formerly called Hammond Road East