Approximately that area bounded in the north by the railway, east to King Street and Regina Road, west and south to the Borough Boundaries. Glebe Ward is relatively one of the older parts of Southall and glancing through the list of streets it is noticeable that with the exception of one Way, one Avenue, one Place, one Crescent and possibly three Streets all the others are Roads which is in complete contrast to the previous ward where it is found there is an abundance of Avenues. It is worth remembering therefore, that when one looks at a map of any town, the thoroughfares bearing the word Road probably constitute the older part of that town. 'Glebe' originally meant 'a piece of cultivated land' and was usually that portion of land assigned to a clergyman as part of his benefice. A lot of the street names in this ward are purely ducal and quite unimaginative.
This name refers to one person only, namely the Right Hon. William Ewart Gladstone, born 1809 and died 1898, a great Liberal statesman of the latter part of the 19th century. At his death his body lay in state in Westminster Hall for two days and was viewed by no less than 250,000 people, who passed it in unbroken succession.
Comes from the name of Spencer Crompton Cavendish, who was the Marquis of Hartington, the 8th Duke of Devonshire, he was a member of the Liberal party, assumed leadership of the party and in 1902 became leader of the House of Commons.
Does not take its name from the previous personality, but no doubt was from the 5th Earl of Spencer who was 1st Lord of the Admiralty in 1892.
Another parliamentarian, viz. the Rt. Hon. Arthur Balfour who was 1st Lord of the treasury in 1891, a member of Lord Salisbury's Government and eventually became Prime Minister in 1902. It would be strange not to find a Salisbury Road amongst these politicians but not, however in this estate. It is to be found in another ward just off Talbot Road.
This does not need any explanation. After all a Queen was on the throne at this time, so why not a Queen's Road?
An obvious choice from the Duke of Clarence afterwards William IV. And now the 'odd road out' in this collection: -
The origin of this name is questionable, it is obviously historical but, who to choose? Maybe it is after Lady Jane Dudley who was commonly called Lady Jane Grey, or perhaps Dudley, the Earl of Leicester, but, and this is interesting, there was William Dudley the Bishop of Durham, who was Rector of Hendon and Archdeacon of Middlesex. There are other ducal names in this ward, viz. Marlborough Road, Sussex and Lonsdale Roads.
This is part of old Southall and was originally named Workhouse Lane (the lane to the workhouse) set amongst meadows, one of which was called Workhouse Meadow. The workhouse was bought and converted into a residence by a certain Featherstone-Haugh and it was at this time that the lane became known as Featherstone Road.
This road has distinct connections with the name, for originally there was an avenue of elm trees and from there the way was through a meadow called Elmfield Meadow to the corner of St. John's Hall and the avenue of elm trees was the entrance to the workhouse.
Is named after Richard Plokyndon one of the feoffees at the foundation of the Hospital of All Angels at Brentford in 1446 and granted to Philip Malpas and others, lands in Isleworth, Chiswick, Heston and Northwood (Norwood) on condition that certain payments were made to the hospital. According to the enclosure map of 1815 Pluckington Place was just in the Parish of Heston. This was before the realignment of the Parish boundaries.
There are various personalities of that name but bearing in mind that the time of development was in the late 19th or early 20th centuries, it is necessary to look round for a name around that time. So the one I have selected is Henry James Montague, a famous 19th century actor. There is no need to go into details of his career at this stage, just sufficient to mention that he was a great favourite on and off the stage.
Western Road from the Prince of Wales was once just a country lane with fields each side. It ran on to North Hyde and the water splash at North Hyde was common land, now of course no more.
Situated near the recreation ground. 'Tachbrook' literally means a 'small local brook'. It is some distance from Yeading Brook but, I can't help feeling that at some time there must have been a small brook running through the area.
Leonard, Albert and Florence Roads
This entire area was originally known as the Coronation Estate and was opened up by a builder named J. T. Stevens around 1900. These three streets were named after his three children. There are other ducal names in this ward, namely Sussex and Marlborough. Without a doubt Marlborough refers to Churchill, John Winston Spencer 1822-1883.
For this reason it would appear an interesting street, Londsdale is a very common name, or so the biographers tell us, it could be one of the Earls of Lonsdale, or a famous biographer of the same name, but there was a certain John Lonsdale who was a Bishop and in fact was Archdeacon of Middlesex. This then could be the origin and if so, it could link up with Dudley Road for it will be remembered that Dudley was also an Archdeacon of Middlesex.
So named, presumably, after the most famous of them all -Samuel Johnson.
Scotts Emulsion Works were built beside the railway in the middle of the fields prior to the 1914 war. At that time only a brack existed, then it became a rough road, and when the houses were built there in 1920 and 1930 the name Scotts Road stuck.
This is another road that has commercial connections. Prior to the 1914-18 war a factory was established on this site and produced a product which was of French origin. The factory closed in 1914 and the road assumed the name of the factory